A Week in the Life: Tuesday

This week is turning into a full-on Spring Break. It happens sometimes. It’s a lull in the cycle of work and a recovery(ish) week. I have a lot of pitches and ideas and things out there, hoping at least one will stick. But not Tuesday. Tuesday was a full rest day + a nowhere I had to be day + a Steve was in Sacramento day = I might have gone all day without speaking to any real people and mostly just breaking up cat fights.

I am going to have to do this again during some other week when things are at totally insane peak, just so you don’t all think I’m a bum. But in the meantime, I’m trying to view this as the calm, a rest period, to prepare for whatever comes later.

See Monday here.

7:50ish a.m. Steve gets up, but closes the door so I can stay asleep.

8:36 a.m. I’m up. Change the boys’ litter, check my emails on my phone, eat a chocolate mint Clif bar.

9:10 a.m. Sit down at the computer to do work. A triathlon editor wants me to do a training story. Another editor came back with follow-up info about another training story. I organize my notes for the newsletter and create a draft and outline in Mailchimp. Snoop falls asleep on me, so I call my A.R.T. doctor to make an appointment while I’m stuck sitting.

10:38 a.m. Get on the phone with Salvation Army to find out why they didn’t pick up the couch that was scheduled for pick-up. Browse job boards while I listen to some explanation.

11:00 a.m. Decide I need to shower and get dressed and jumpstart the day. Microwave a frozen meal — classic chicken parmesan isn’t terrible on top of some lettuce with some avocado. Put away dishes from last night and clean up mess Snoop is making and stop the two boys from fighting.

11:30 a.m. Eat and watch some TV.

11:46 a.m. Sit down to go through list of stories that need reporting. Contact egg places to test their eggs, reach out to a few more triathlon experts for a story on retail. Draft a gear pitch that takes a little while.

12:40 p.m. Play with the cats.

12:52 p.m. Walk out the door to run some errands, so I at least leave the house, but there’s a Plated box of meals at the door — which I do once every month or two.

12:58 p.m. Actually walk out the door. Bank, store for some odds and ends we’re out of (like soap), use an Athleta giftcard I’ve had since Christmas, talk to my mom (who really thinks I need to blog a week where I’m actually busy), and then stop at the little market to buy four different cartons of eggs to do some taste testing for a story.

2:40 p.m. Unpack and say hi to the boys.

2:55 p.m. Test two different kinds of eggs with two sets of scrambled eggs. That’s a lot of eggs to eat.

3:25 p.m. Sit back down at computer. Finalize the schedule for a couple of interviews later this week. Write half of the newsletter. And look at a few co-working spaces in Marin, which would help our work-from-a-one-bedroom problems.

5:00 p.m. Need a break. Eat some strawberries and some small Hershey’s chocolate eggs. Take the cats outside to try and let Snoop learn the lay of the land.

5:20 p.m. Bring them back in and sit down again at the computer with a Lost Coast Great White beer. Write most of the rest of the newsletter.

6:15 p.m. Take a walk around the condo. Eat an orange. Feed Snoop and Pac.

6:30 p.m. Finish newsletter. Let Pac out because he won’t stop crying, but then have to spend the rest of the time throwing Snoop’s mouse to distract him from crying about his brother getting to go outside.

6:45 p.m. Take the trash out, then let Snoop back outside because he won’t stop crying, but then I have to stay out with him.

7:10 p.m. We all come back inside finally. And start making dinner. I make one of the Plated meals, fancy quesadillas (which I pretty much only do when I don’t have other things to do, because making dinner takes time). Drink an El Sully while I cut vegetables. Take a break to clean up Snoop throwing up in the hallway.

8:15 p.m. Eat my steak quesadillas and then clean up leftovers.

8:40 p.m. Pay bills and call in an insurance payment. Go through desk to sort out notes from old stories and upcoming due dates. Get newsletter back from editor and schedule for morning. Spend a solid 45 minutes trying to clean out the storage on my computer and figure out how to delete Apple Mail. Blog. Schedule tour of one cool-sounding co-working space.

10:30 p.m. Make dessert bowl of microwaved Clif Z-bars and ice cream while watching Frasier reruns.

10:46 p.m. Sort out three loads of laundry to do in the morning.

11:05 p.m. Steve gets home. Chat about day.

11:25 p.m. Get ready for bed and get the boys ready.

11:44 p.m. Get in bed. Read Thew New Yorker while Steve finishes getting ready for bed.

12:15 a.m. Turn off light.

1:10 a.m. Still awake. Take a melatonin.

8 thoughts on “A Week in the Life: Tuesday

    1. ultimately, we let tupac go outside by himself when we’re home and he plays in the bushes behind the house and generally comes back when you call him. but snoop has definitely not earned that privilege yet, hah!

      1. Hah! My cat Bear will go out and roll on the concrete for as long as I’ll let her. But the minute I stop watching she runs straight for the fence. Sneaky.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s