A Week in the Life: Monday

Last week, we talked a bunch in the newsletter and then on the podcast about the new athlete Youtubes and what would you actually watch from a pro athlete. And I kept saying that the things I do really read when people write them are the detailed ‘here’s what I did all day’ posts. Because it’s weirdly fascinating to see what people actually do, eat, workouts, etc. And that’s one of the things that people ask me allllll the time: What do I do all day?

So I thought I’d do an actual detailed log this week for each day, not really commentary like the running logs I’ve done before, just the nitty-gritty of my day. Read it, don’t, maybe it’ll be interesting to some people.

CAVEAT: My weeks vary drastically and this is a *super* light week for me. I have minimal workouts in the first half because I’m still recovering from the insane Spartan Race this past weekend and I have minimal work because it’s just one of those weeks between deadlines. This might not do me a lot of favors then with the people who think I do nothing, but what are ya gonna do. Maybe I’ll do another week in the life in June when I’m at peak training and already have a number of assignments on the calendar.

7:50 a.m. Tupac starts wheezing while sitting on top of Steve in our bed. He’s taken to doing this in the mornings, having some kind of mini-furball attack for 20-30 seconds, then he’s fine. Steve gets up, but I go back to sleep.

8:25 a.m. Snoop comes and yells at me for awhile. Finally I get up, empty their litter boxes, check my email and social accounts, and change to run.

9:00 a.m. Slow run around the neighborhood. Lots of things still hurt from Spartan.

9:35 a.m. Walk the last 100y or so and get home. Eat a chocolate mint Clif bar (naturally) and some Gatorade.

9:45 a.m. Shower and change into clothes to bike to the ferry later. Snoop knocks some stuff of the counter, clean it up.

10:05 a.m. Sit down to take care of edits on an article about credit card finance charges that came in over the weekend. Eat a Chobani yogurt with some granola while working.

10:45 a.m. Finish edits, pack up bag to head into the office.

11:03 a.m. Grab road bike from garage. Ride to ferry. About two-third into the ride, I panic when I see the clock in downtown and go fairly hard for the last ten minutes to make the ferry.

11:34 a.m. The clock was wrong. I make the 11:40 ferry no problem. Mostly read the New Yorker on the ferry, answer an email about filling-in for someone next week, browse Instagram.

12:15 p.m. Get off the ferry at the Ferry Building in San Francisco. Ride through the busy streets to the radio station for a couple meetings.

12:35 p.m. Throw on some clothes in the locker room and meet with my food editor to finalize a list of local egg producers I should review for an upcoming guide on eggs.

1:02 p.m. She has to run to a meeting, so I swing by the social media head’s office to talk about filling in next week, but she’s out. And then I head downstairs to the newsroom. My other editor is finishing something up, so I work on coordinating photos for the story we’re working on and answer some other work email.

1:35 p.m. We all decide to grab some lunch from the market. I eat my chicken-monterey jack-onion-apples-lettuce sandwich in the park with two colleagues. Also I get a cookie-brownie thing that I eat half of.

2:20 p.m. As we’re walking back into the office, Steve calls and wants some help with a work question, so I spend a little time looking into it.

2:40 p.m. Editor and I sit down to edit my radio/podcast story about the Tenderloin that we need to record when she gets back from vacation. We go over some notes and feedback from the listening session, touch base with the other editor who’ll be working this week, and shoot the shit for a few minutes.

3:30 p.m. I decide to head out to make the 4:00 p.m. ferry. Change back into sweaty bike clothes and ride to the ferry.

4:00 p.m. Read, email and Powerade on the ferry.

4:33 p.m. Ferry lands back in Marin and I bike home.

5:20 p.m. It took a longer amount of time to ride home. I blame the wind. Put the bike in the garage, get the mail, feed and play with Snoop and Pac.

5:43 p.m. Quick shower just to rinse off (no hair-washing) and change into sweats.

5:55 p.m. Decide to sit down and relax for a bit. Watch TV and eat a slice of cheese and some leftover orange chicken with rice and lettuce spring mix on top. And a Lost Coast Great White beer. Then mess around on Instagram and text with Sara about triathlon gear.

6:50 p.m. Get up, unload dishwasher, load dishwasher with dirty dishes that have piled up. Go through mail—got a check (!)—and unpack my bag from the day, activate new debit card. Also: eat a couple of these snack rounds, a can of fruit cocktail, and a few small Hershey’s chocolate eggs.

7:45 p.m. Sit down with another beer to go through a huge backlog of email and sort out what should be worked on, etc. Go through a bunch of articles and tabs I have open to read and to maybe include in this week’s newsletter or to think about for other stories. Get super deep into reading about the behind-the-scenes logistics of how the high school kids have organized the national marches.

8:30 p.m. Steve gets home. Put away groceries, get a glass of wine from an open bottle on the counter and take a walk around the complex.

9:08 p.m. He makes a snack, I eat a few fancy Rustic Bakery crackers and we watch an episode of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

10:00 p.m. I get hungry again. Make my go-to snack of toast with avocado and a sunny-side up egg.

10:25 p.m. Send a note to a friend about Zwift races, brainstorming some triathlon story ideas, trying to figure out a few topics, etc. Sit back down at computer while Steve is working to finish reading the tabs I had open, blog a little, and look at what I really have to do tomorrow.

11:28 p.m. Time to get ready for bed. Get the boys food and water and clean litter for the night.

11:50 p.m. Get in bed.

12:08 a.m. Lights out.


5 thoughts on “A Week in the Life: Monday

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s