Besides the obvious questions — how long is this going to take me? what will happen after 6 hours? how much is 6,000 feet of elevation really? — there’s quite a few logistical aspects to Ironman that I still don’t really understand. I’m not sure if there’s some place that everyone is taught these answers. Or, if most of the people doing Ironman have already done Ironman, so they just already know and can’t remember ever not knowing.
Maybe those people can answer some of these:
- What happens with your stuff if you have to leave it all there after checking it in a day or two before?
- Does your food and drink go bad/melt?
- Obviously you can check on your bike race morning. What all are you actually allowed to do race morning? What do you have to do in advance?
- Why, why, why do you have to do all this before race day?
- How do you get your special needs bag? Do they just throw it at you on the bike? Do you have to stop and wait for them to sort out the bags?
- Does whatever is in your special needs bag go bad?
- How many special needs bag stops are there?
- What is the deal with the changing tent and volunteers? Do I need to change clothes? What do they help with, what don’t they help with? Why?
- I can’t pee on the bike. I’ve tried. Do I just stop at port-a-potties on the bike then?
- How do I not get drowned in the mass swim start?